Working closely with the U.S. Government, The Polish American Congress succeeded on the following issues:
• Support for the Radio Free Europe.
• Establishment of the Displaced Persons (DP) Program which allowed 150,000 Polish immigrants to enter the U.S. after the WW II.
• Setting up the U.S. Congressional Commission to investigate the Katyn Forest Massacre.
• The U.S. legislation giving the American Veterans’ bene . ts to the Polish Veterans of the World War I and World War II.
• Permanent U.S. recognition of the Poland‘s western border of the Oder/Neisse line.
• The U.S. assistance through the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) to Solidarity underground and during Martial Law.
• Establishment of the multimillion-dollar program of economic assistance through the establishment of the Support to East European Democracies Act (SEED Act).
• Establishment of the Polish American Enterprise Fund (PAEF).
• Establishment of the Polish American Freedom Foundation (PAFF).
• Political asylum in the United States for refuges escaping from the Communist Regime in Poland.
• Amnesty for undocumented aliens who entered the U.S. before 1979.
• Poland‘s full membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), in May, 1999, giving our families in Poland a strong sense of personal security.
• Partnership with the Swiss Fund for the Needy Victims of the Holocaust to assist those interred in concentration camps.
• Participated in the negotiations which led to the establishment of the German Forced Labor Compensation Program, which currently assist the International Organization for Migration by providing claims applications, and processing to the living survivors of slave/ forced labor. Other assistance involves participation in the American Holocaust Victims Assets Program and the German Property Loss Program.
• Assistance to flood victims in Poland, in 1997, and 2001.
• Immigration reform: 245 (I) legislation, H1-B Visas, and the Visa Lottery.
None of these would have been possible without the consistent and substantial support of the PAC‘s members, member organizations, and the whole community.